Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thoughts before departure

Oh man, I've never written a blog before. I read Ryan Lais's blog from Ireland and he had a very uncanny way with words. I hope I meet his standards. (Mark is probably wondering if I know what uncanny means after I used the words scrupulous vagrant in Balderdash, while I'm looking up quibble to see if its actually in the dictionary).

I am creating a list of things I need to put together for Spain. Toothbrush, sweatpants, alarm clock... I already feel like I'm overpacking. Don't they have roosters to wake me up. I have to take advantage of my surroundings. I wish I could survive with just the clothes on my back and enough to get me by from day to day (maybe for a few days but not for 4 months).

I really don't know what to expect when I get over there. I have been to Venezuela and Guatemala, but we let the leaders do all the grunt work and I followed their directions. I will be completely on my own during the first few days in Spain. I hope everything will work out alright and if not, sleeping in the park will be an adventure too.

Since I really don't know what the future brings, I will conclude with this: doin things. This was a credo practiced by the Destroyerites this past semester. It's terminalogy is organic and derives from the most basic layman terms. To keeps one's mind sharp and courageous, to explore, to grow, and to be, one must 'do things' and keep in mind that God is always smiling and so should we. Have fun in the States.

David

2 comments:

  1. Best travel packing advice: spread everything you think you need out on the floor of your room. Then, cut it in half. Take only clothes that match, and don't cary anything that could just as easily be purchased overseas. If you want to travel around at all, you'll thank me for this.

    Mesh clothes and synthetic fibers are a great choice because they're easy to wash in a sink on the go and dry super-quickly. They're also much lighter than cottons, denims, etc..

    Make sure your comfortable holding all of your luggage at once. By comfortable, I mean make sure you'd be able to happily walk 5 miles with it without wanting to hurl something off a bridge to lighten your load. You'll have to take stuff off and pick it back up over and over to get through customs, to get on trains, to travel around on bus.

    And remember: hostels are your friend. Traveling alone is great because you get to meet so many neat people to share your experiences. Stop at the hostel first, get rid of your luggage, and find a new friend to explore the city with. Things are much more enjoyable this way.

    In peace,
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Dah-veed. You're going to have a blast. I laughed when you mentioned sweatpants in your list of things to bring. I can see you trekking around Segovia in your bright red SJU sweatpants. I'm excited to stay updated on your travels!

    Paz,

    Bree

    ReplyDelete