Monday, February 16, 2009

Salamanca




We left for Salamanca on Saturday morning. Fairly quick bus ride (2.5 hours). We took a tour of the cathedral and saw the university (oldest in Spain). There is a sculpted frog on the university and as the legend goes, if you can find it, you have good luck. So every gift shop was filled with frog related memorabilia and is kinda their mascot. We saw the Plaza Mayor which was my part of the city (and Vantage point was filmed here; it’s recognizable if you’ve seen the movie). Salamanca is a bit of a college town and all day people would sit in the plaza, eat, drink, mingle, relax in the sun.

Gladys planned for this to be a day trip but most of us wanted to stay and scrambled to get accommodations. I was lucky and only had to pay 14 euro to stay in a pension (someone’s house that rents out thanks to adam). My favorite part of the night was going to this hip hop club and watching these 17 year olds break dance (at least they looked that old). It was so mesmerizing that I had to try out my own dance moves. We’ll just leave it at that, I’m sure pictures will come to the surface in due time.
Sunday we hung out in the Plaza and we were blessed with another sunny day. I bought a bufanda (a scarf because they are pretty popular among Spaniards…it’s been sunny for the past 4 days straight so I may not even need it in a week). We caught the bus back at 5:30 and got back home around 8:15. Coming into Segovia at night was the first time I had seen the Alcazar castle lit up at night. It was gorgeous and I will definitely go by there in the near future.
Sunday night I had to laugh to myself about what Marisa served me. The other day (probably Thursday night), I had a little argument/conversation with my mom about me needing more vegetables in my diet. For dinner (on Thursday), I was served hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and an egg. I have been regretfully eating those semi warmed hot dogs for a while and have been able to balance the flavor with the potatoes, but something about those nuggets made me tick. They weren’t the fresh and juicy or greasy nuggets that actually have the taste of real food, more like a warm rubber flavor, thick breading, like they were warmed from a frozen thaw…similar taste to how one knows that hotdogs don’t have an origin other than a processing plant. I didn’t know how much longer my body could endure such torment. I had to speak up.
Of course there was confusion, and I tried to explain that there is high cholesterol in my family and I just needed more vegetables. Having little faith that I made an impact on her whatsoever, I was delighted by what I was served. She made a salad and fried mushrooms with garlic and peppers. No meat other than some tuna in the salad. I didn’t know if I had transported to another country. It was a gift from God.
Today for lunch, another vegetable suprise bowl of mush (since so much oil is added, it looks like decapitated baby gerber...I can identify orange carrots, mooshy potatos, canned asparagus, oil, probably garlic too)...then we had fried fish w/ lemon and more fried peppers. This went up there for one of the better meals...the peppers added a lot of flavor.
Well, in about 20 minutes I will be attending my first french class. Since high school, I thought it would be cool to take French, but thought Spanish was more versitle. It's a free class and hopefully with spaniards so I thought I might as well try it. Details to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment