Monday, January 26, 2009

Odd's and End's

So, I was in the middle of a post and my computer shut down (over-heated)...it's done that mostly when I've been on skype (?). Anyway, just wanted to give an update on this past week and a half. This weekend we stayed in Segovia and hung out. No grand paintings or magnificent new places to see. I did go on a run; there's a path that goes around the castle and I didn't take the turn I was supposed to. I ended up exploring and climbed a giant hill. It was then that I realized how far out of the way I was.


Segovia is a great place to explore, there is practically a bar on every street (no joke). I am currently in a bar between my house and the university that is the only one I know of with wifi. I haven't seen many people my age around, but after being here for a while...about 10 girls and 1 guy walked in. Seems like I found the hangout, it's just hard to time when people are around.


Yesterday was the first day that I felt a bit homesick, I wasn't fed very much and I guess that's my fault for not speaking up. I realize I haven't given as much general infomration as I would have liked so I'll let you in on the typical day for me.


It starts with me getting up around 8:30, I make a small breakfast for myself....pre-toasted bread, hot chocolate (they leave their milk out until opened...sketchy), and a clementine. Shower and off to school, get there early, class starts at 9:30-11. Then 11:30-1. Hang out and be home by 2ish for lunch. It's kinda nice that everyone comes home for lunch and we watch this cooking show. I have learned a lot of cooking words and I'm more interested to get into the kitchen or at least try some of his dishes. Either take a short nap (siesta) or go back to school or explore Segovia. Homework has been fairly light, a lot of reading for Senior Seminar, but we have a lot of time on our hands. Then later in the afternoon, I've been getting tapas...a beer and chips or other snacks come free with your drink. I go home for dinner at 9:30ish and if I go out for the night, it wouldn't be until 11. This is actually quite early for spaniards. The bars don't get busy until 12 and the bars with dancing doesn't start until 3:30 or 4 in the morning.


So far, Segovians in general have been a bit reserved. I have tried saying hi to people or starting conversations. It's been hit or miss, but overall I've gotten brushed off. It's understandable I guess. Soon enough we will start sports and get a Tandem partner to practice our spanish and meet others. I will leave you with a picture of me and my sisters (can't you see how much they like hanging out with me!).


Dave




3 comments:

  1. Sup Dave!!! Let me know when you're off to Valladolid... There are some cool places to check out there... I gave Tito my maps too, so make sure to hit up La Negra Flor, and tell Carlos the bartender that you're from the same school as Jose and Gladys. Keep it real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    Reserved? Your sisters don't look that reserved... you look like a God...

    Don't get home sick, because when you get home you'll be "sick of home" instead of home sick!

    3:30 or 4? Dang, Sal's closes at 1.. haha..

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey You!

    I need to give you props on your posts, very entertaining!!

    I don't know if I could live that life...9:30pm is early?!? What?!?!

    Glad to hear things are going well :) Sounds like Segovia is going to be a fun place to play around and explore!

    Thanks for the photos!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete